Thursday, September 23, 2010

All I Want for Dinner is Hummus

One of my favorite dips is hummus.  There are some good spicy hummus in stores, however, I enjoy making my own jalapeno hummus. 

Roasted Garlic and Jalapeño Hummus (Vegan)

Click "Read more" to see the recipe.
Ingredients
1 head peeled garlic (roasted whole)
2 cups garbanzo beans*
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
Juice of one lemmon
2 fresh jalapeño peppers (red or green)
2 pickled jalapeño peppers
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
10 turns ground salt*
30 turns ground black pepper

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender.  Blend until smooth.

Add more seasoning, olive oil or tahini as necessary.  If the mixture is too thick for your blender, add a small amount of water.

*This is the amount of salt I use when I'm using garbanzo beans I cooked or store-bought 'No Salt Added' variety.  Most salted canned beans contain lots of salt.  It always is a good idea to read nutrition info before you buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment