Sunday, December 5, 2010

Packaging for King Trumpet Mushrooms

I guess cartoon-like pictures on product packages isn't just in Japan anymore.  On my recent trip to Asian market in the neighborhood, I found a bag of king trumpet mushrooms with drawings that reminds me of my home country.


I used to see this kind of drawings on bags and boxes in Japan all the time since Japanese people apparently can't live without cartoon-like drawings on everything.  I'll be looking for the rest of the mushroom varieties on this package.  I wonder whoever designed it knows this famous shiitake from Japanese comic books.




These mushrooms are very meaty so I decided to grill two of them for dinner.  A simple glaze made of soy sauce and sesame oil was put on mushroom halves right before grilling on Cuisinart Griddler along with some Indian mackerel.  Whenever my husband is on his business trip, I eat something he doesn't like such as certain type of fish and lots of vegetables.


A couple of Japanese-inspired veggie dishes, miso soup with fried tofu and lots of vegetables, brown rice with three kinds of quinoa and amaranth grains completed my meal.  The rest of the mushrooms were used in Italian style pasta dish and spicy miso soup and it worked well in both.  I would buy them again to experiment in other types of cuisines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment