Thursday, January 27, 2011

Grapefruit Sorbet Recipes

Last Sunday, my bro-in-law gave me 15 huge grapefruits off his tree.  Although my original plan was to juice them and keep it in freezer for later use, I had to (yes I HAD to) experiment with some grapefruit (that's what I do when have a lot of ingredients to play with).  When it's possible, I try to make something my husband can eat using ingredients he wouldn't normally go near.  This time, I decided to make grapefruit sorbet.


Those grapefruits were juicier than I expected!  It only took 4 of them to get 3 1/2 cups of grapefruit juice.  I used both sugar and stevia to cut down on sugar while sustaining the desirable consistency.
Result? My husband loved it!


I was satisfied with the way sorbet turned out, but I wanted to make another grapefruit sorbet recipe with a little twist.  How about a 'pink' grapefruit sorbet without artificial food coloring? 

Click on "Read more" for recipes.


Grapefruit Sorbet

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/4 teaspoon stevia powder*

1.  Chill grapefruit juice in refrigerator.
2.  Combine sugar and water and bring to a gentle boil over medium heat.  Let it boil for 5-10 minutes to make it 'syrupy'.  Cool to room temperature.
3.  Mix in stevia.
4.  Mix sugar water into grapefruit juice and continue to chill for at least 2 hours.
5.  Freeze the sweetened juice in ice cream maker according to manufacture's instruction.
6.  Transfer sorbet to freezer-safe container and freeze for 1 hour.
7.  Fluff sorbet with a spatula or a spoon and store in freezer.

* I use stevia in a jar, not an individually packed kind people use for their drinks.


'Pink' Grapefruit Sorbet

Boil 1/3 cup dried hibiscus flowers with sugar and water (see '2' above).  Strain sugar water before mixing into the juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment