Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Necklace Display Stand

I was storing my necklaces in a drawer but it was getting difficult to keep them organized.  The best way to organize necklaces or anything with a string is to hang them on a display stand or a wall unit with hooks.  When I need something is usually the right time to make something.  I drove over to an antique mall in town and started looking for what ever I can use as a base for a stand or a wall decor to add some hooks on.  The reason I didn't go to my usual destination when I have a project---DIY stores---is that I wanted to create something rustic.  Materials from hardware stores would look too new and shiny.  Besides, it's more fun to dig up old stuff at an antique mall.  I never know what I can find.

After walking through entire building, I had to decide between a pair of wooden squares with paint chipping off and an old wooden tool I had no idea what it was used for (I assume it was used to press or pound something).  I couldn't decide right away and I ended up getting both. 


The mystery tool seemed like a better match for decorative handmade nails from Mexico I picked up from an import store.  Sora wanted to show off his pole dance moves but I was ready to hang my necklaces (Sorry, Sora!)


Yay! No more tangling strands!  The next thing on my list is an earring rack/organizer. I'll get to it when I have an idea for it.


Update 1/30/11
I was just told that this is a mallet used for woodcarving.  I can sleep better tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment