Monday, December 20, 2010

Hand Spinning

When I went to the Holiday Craft Fair at Tucson Museum of Art, I met a lady demonstrating spinning with her beautifully crafted spinning wheel.  She pulled out a hand spindle from her purse and showed me how easy it is to spin fiber without an expensive spinning wheel.  The best thing about hand spindle is that I can take it anywhere! 



There was an article about Kathy in a local periodical we get in mail and I was immediately interested in how she uses fiber from animals at her ranch.  Although her ranch is not far from where I live, I met her at Tempe Festival of the Arts for the first time.  Kathy kindly showed me how to start spinning and shared a few do's and don'ts pointers.  I purchased this handcrafted spindle and about 2oz of roving to start spinning.



It didn't take me long to understand the 'meditating effect' of spinning the lady at the craft fair told me about.   It might be the best thing to do to clear my mind!  This is my cure for common holiday stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment