Friday, January 14, 2011

Handspun Thick-and-Thin and Supercoil Yarns

Every time I visit Kathy's ranch shop, I learn something new.  Last time, I enjoyed watching her spin super-coiled funky yarns and beautiful thick-and-thin yarns from batts she made with leftover fibers in multiple colors.  Although I only use a hand spindle, I wanted to try these techniques.  I randomly added some thick-and-thin and supercoil in two of my latest yarns.


The bright purple string is not part of this yarn---I use short  pieces of yarns from crocheting projects to tie hand spun yarn for washing and drying.  I don't like wasting anything!


The hand spun yarn in purple-gray base was spun with navy-blue cotton thread.  The dark cotton thread tones down some crazy bright color patches in the yarn.  


I used a bright leafy green colored cotton thread for the olive-gray-brown yarn.  Because of its darker, fall-to-winter colors, I don't think I'll be using this yarn for a while, unless I decide to make something for next winter.  It's been nice and warm in the desert in daytime, I'm ready for some bright colors!

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful!
    It's an art.
    My daughter loves the scarf you knit for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. >Okeihan
    I should have picked lighter colored yarns for her. I'm sure people can spot her scarf from a mile away!

    ReplyDelete