Friday, May 6, 2011

Things That Kept Me Busy in February-April

I haven't been able to update my blog as much for last three months or so.  It's not that I didn't make anything---I have to be really sick to put away my craft tools and kitchen knives---I've been busy running around and I didn't take my time to share what I was doing. 


I took a diving trip to Bonaire for a week with my husband in middle of February and got my diving fix.  It was my first shore diving experience.  Diving whenever I feel like was nice, but we both missed diving off a live-aboard boat.  All we have to think about on a live-aboard boat is next dive---we don't have to worry about what time a supermarket closes on Sunday or which restaurant to go out for dinner.  Bonaire and other shore diving destinations are for people who can stay two weeks or longer and rent a condo.  The picture above shows slave huts where slaves who harvested salt used to sleep.  The huts are so small---I can't imagine how it was like to come home from hard labor to this little hut and to be crammed in there with other slaves like sardines. 


After northeastern Japan suffered earthquake and tunami on March 11, I joined Japanese Association of Tucson's fundraising and helped with two events.  The first bake-craft sale was on March 19 and I was there selling baked goods for almost 12 hours. Members of Odaiko Sonora entertained us with their strong performance in the evening.  Some people waited three hours to dine in at Sushi Yukari who donated 50% of the sales of the day. 


Another fundraising was held on April 10 instead of association's semiannual picnic.  We had yard sale and craft sale outside and Japanese food sale and bake sale inside Sushi Yukari.  It was an unusually cold weekend in Tucson and I was still a little cold even in my heavy leather jacket and long boots during craft sale.  I sold some of the earrings and polymer clay beads I made.  This fund raising was a great success as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment